I verified all the parts were present – and started ordering the remaining electronics online. Here is how the mechanical build went…
First I removed the protective layer from one side of some of the plates. Some residue remained – I alternated using isopropyl alcohol and vegetable oil, scraping with a rag to get the stickiness off. This was mostly successful, but it took longer than desired, but at least the parts looked nice and shiny.
The most important thing during assembly is to keep the eccentric nuts turned so that the V pulleys are kept slightly loose – this allows for more accurate adjustments later.
The MakerSlides attach to the plates with two screws. One surprise was that the screws which go into holes in the MakerSlide need to first be tapped (it is in the manual on the wiki, but I missed reading that part). Off to the hardware store to get a metric 5 mm tap. A couple of hours later I had all the holes tapped – I had to go slow as I didn’t want to accidentally break the tap inside of one of the holes. If you have never tapped before, I recommend you practice on some scrap metal first – and learn the proper process.
While building, I was also buying. Read on about sourcing the electronics.