Replacement bed for Shapeoko

I finally decided to pull out the big tools and make a new bed for my Shapeoko. This build is inspired by this project:

http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=274

I glued two scrap pieces of 1/2″ MDF board together and then routered clamping channels.

The clamp material is solid 3/8″ aluminum rod cut to about 1 1/2″, drilled and tapped for 1/4″ bolts.

To see how well it worked with the DW660, I decided to try milling a scrap piece of 8mm Lexan I pulled from some equipment to make two stepper mounts for my next modification: the outside belts.

This time I’m getting proper “snow”. When I tried this with the slower Dremel I was getting hot flakes permanently adhering to everything on the machine. This time, no adhesion!

I was using a two-flute bit. Probably should have used my 4 flute instead as the final result wasn’t as good as I had hoped. Still not bad. Job run time was about 30 minutes. Could have be 20 minutes if I hadn’t decided to do the full mill on the two big circles and instead chosen a simple cutout approach.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>